Two more climbers, who had gone missing while descending from Mt Everest, were found dead on Monday.
The death toll on Mt Everest this season has now reached six. Tilak Ram Pandey, Liaison Officer of the Department of Mountaineering under the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation, said Winryi Ha fromChinaand Song Won-Bin ofSouth Koreawere found dead near South Cole.
The two climbers were missing since Saturday.
Meanwhile, whereabouts of a missing Nepali Sherpa guide who was said to be with the team is still unknown. Though his friends are still searching for him it is still unknown what actually had happened to Shepa.
Government official deployed at base camp as liaison officer said that most of these deaths occur due to high altitude sickness.
“Climbers spend their energy on the ascent and they are exhausted and fatigued on the descent.”
Everest’s “death zone”, the region above 8,000 metres, earned its name because it is almost impossible to survive the biting temperatures and lack of oxygen there for more than 48 hours.
Conditions have been particularly hazardous this year, news agency AFP quoted government official Gyanendra Shrestha as saying, with high winds and heavy snowfall delaying the construction of makeshift bridges over precipices.
“The first expedition reached the top only on May 18 whereas last year it was on May 5,” he said.
“With so many people trying to reach the top there was a traffic jam. The next forecast for good weather is between May 24 and 26. By May 28, the ice will start melting and expeditions will have to be called off.”
Two Nepali Sherpa climbers died on Everest in April, one falling into a crevasse at 5,900 metres and the other succumbing to altitude sickness at base camp.
Nearly 4,000 people have climbed Mount Everest since 1953 when Sir Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay first scaled it.
More than 200 people have died on the slopes of the giant peak